Thursday, February 5, 2009

HOW NOT TO CATCH A KITTEN

The tiny orange kitten was terribly thin and trying to scrape a flattened old frog off the road. We pulled over and I got out, moving behind the little one who was desperately pulling at a small piece of the dessicated frog. I grabbed it and as I lifted it up ... eeee-yeow!!! It bit me deeply and I reflexively shook it off. The baby bounded into the roadside shrubbery, where I tried to locate it, knowing all the time it would be impossible to find. Not a bright move on my part. This would have been a case for a blanket pick-up, but I acted too hastily. As a result, I had to go get a rabies series of shots, which wound up bungled by a trip to Sri Lanka before they were over. Thought I could continue the series there, but no hospital had the same brand of medicine. Doctors thought it would be okay that the next shot was a few days late, so when I returned to India I continued the shots. Felt at least the experience resulted in my being more protected for future rescues, but I'll never forget the desperation of that kitten as it dug futilely at the sun-dried remnants of that much run-over frog.

No comments:

Post a Comment